10 July, 2008

senses

Which of your senses do you trust more? What you see, or what you hear? When it comes to a battle between the eyes and ears, which will triumph? Legally, a useful witness is one who directly saw or heard the incident. Even then, more importance seems to be given to vision. So should we really trust our sights more than our hearing?

When two beings come into contact, we naturally make a visual impression in our heads. Minutes later, we add in the auditory impression. 'Loud', 'soft', 'high/low-pitched', 'sweet', 'nagging' etc. And these features do no necessarily stand the test of time. Impressions can change with further observations or conversations. Our impression of a certain someone can improve or worsen over time.

But what happens when your visual impression contradicts your auditory impression? What do you do when a person who seems innocent from the outside, is actually foul-mouthed and verbally abusive? Or a person who holds the funniest and most easy-going conversations actually has a manipulative trait in them? What if what you see is not what you hear? Which would you believe then? It's not about physical crime, it's about impressions, and impressions can be so wrong sometimes. Would you believe what you observe with your eyes or what you hear with your ears?

Personally, I depend on neither. I just live by my gut feelings. I make up my mind regarding a person's character based on my feelings towards him/her. It's a simple 'me likey' or 'me no likey' situation. I can witness someone doing a tonne of good charity work and still insist that he/she is rotten within. Likewise I can hear a person having the smartest conversation with me and decide he/she is actually an empty vessel. It's just a feeling I get when I come into contact with people, that pretty much generates my mental impression of them. I see a sweet girl whom the whole world thinks is the most innocent, yet I think otherwise (not out of spite or jealousy). I hear a boy who flirts with words yet I think he's the most loyal romantic ever (not due to his cute looks).

Impression is a funny thing. Be the judge of your own impressions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home